My Photo
Name:
Location: Illinois, United States

I'm a junior English/Philosophy major who's looking forward to my senior year and looking back on the path that led me here

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Avocados and Celebrations

So I have three avocados in my kitchen, with no idea for their use. I could make guacamole, I could make a superior soup, but my roommate (whom I'm cooking for tomorrow) does not like avocados, and I need to use them quick.

Anyway.

The OPC Synod is finishing up at Trinity - I heard from Erin that Dr. Van Wyk called it a "celebration of manhood." Which is funny, because I've spent the past two days cleaning the men's bathrooms in the Chapel during Synod. I'm trying to think of some witty thing to add to that, but it is slightly ironic. After lunch, Erin and I stopped cleaning to listen to a singing of "Be Thou My Vision," and I have to admit that I sang along because 1.) it's a beautiful, real-life hymn and 2.) the whole chorus was full of men's voices. Maybe it's because I'm a member at Hope Church, where women's roles, like men's roles, are interchangable with shared circles of authority; maybe it's because I'm good friends with women who are trying, honestly and unavoidably, to change the expectations that ultra-conservative and ultra-liberal Christians place on women; maybe it's because I was overly conscious of myself in the men's bathrooms, overhearing the effects of prostrate problems in the urinals. I'm not sure. But Erin and I sang together, with the Synod group, and regardless of my confused intent, it was good.

Now I'm on my way to find a good avocado recipe.

1 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

It's funny, Allison, because even though we didn't talk about it, I sang for both of those reasons, too...

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home