My Photo
Name:
Location: Illinois, United States

I'm a junior English/Philosophy major who's looking forward to my senior year and looking back on the path that led me here

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Burn II - Here's the Aloe Vera

In afternoon prayer today, and every day, Psalms 126 - 128 are read. They are psalms of ascent, sung by the Israelites on their journeys to Jeruslam, their exiles as captives to Babylonia and Assyria, theirs and our long pilgrimage, our longing for God's justice and favor to shine upon us. Today, Caitlin asked me if I had heard about "North Korea wanting to kill us," and I offered my standard frustration at the lack of information that the American public is generally given about our unstable relationships with other countries - a lack of general information that arouses and sustains fear, immediacy, and unilateral response. I also commented that China, in the past, has "punished" N. Korea and its history of bad relationship with other countries (usually relating to nuclear weaponry) by cutting off food and oil trade, a major blow. Japan is also going to offer some sort of public condemnation - Caitlin said that she was glad about these things because it meant that the US wasn't "screwing itself" and accusing someone without other witnesses or supporters. I checked out the NY Times, and I have to admit that my liberal tendancies also allow me to whine with presumption and without blessing, without overcoming evil with good. This is an issue of international diplomacy and global safety, not just the US pointing lone fingers. While I will most certainly continue to critique the American media for exploiting fearful tidings, and critique the leaders and citizens who applaud and feed off such exploitation, I have to offer some good to triumph over the fear. In Iona communities in Scotland, monks left large boulders on their monastery pathways as reminders of their vocations as warriors - yes, prayer warriors, but in the righteous sense - for the land they lived in and the people they lived by, the people who had no idea that the monks were praying for their safety, their health, their salvation. I must offer the same today, and although this blog is public, Psalm 128 stands as a rock of blessing against fear of nuclear war, fear of others, and fear of self:

O blessed are those who fear the Lord
and walk in his ways!

By the labor of your hands you shall eat.
You will be happy and prosper:
your spouse like a fruitful vine
in the heart of your house,
your children like shoots of the olive
around your table.

Indeed thus shall be blessed
the one who fears the Lord.
May the Lord bless you from Zion
all the days of your life!
May you see your children's children
in a happy Jerusalem!

On Israel, peace!

Amen.

1 Comments:

Blogger Loyolady12 said...

I have to say Allison that whenever I am beginning to turn my back on God, when I put other things before Him, I think of you and I remember what really counts in the life.

10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home